It is a crime for any person to cause any physical injury or harm, even if that person is a member or former member of your family or household. Please tell the investigating peace officer:
If you, your child or any other household resident has been injured. If you believe you will be in danger after the officer(s) leaves. You have a right to:
- Ask the local prosecutor to file a criminal complaint against the person committing family violence.
- Apply to a court for an order to protect you. To do so, you should consult a legal aid office, a prosecuting attorney or a private attorney.
For example, the court can enter an order that:
- The abuser not commit further acts of violence.
- The abuser not threaten, harass or contact you at home.
- Directs the abuser to leave your household.
- Establishes temporary custody of your children and directs the abuser not to interfere with your children or any property.
A violation of certain provisions of court ordered protection (such as 1 and 2 above) is a criminal offense.
Law Enforcement Agencies Telephone Numbers
|Emergency - Police, Sheriff's Dept., Ambulance
||9 - 1 - 1 |
|Harris County Sheriff's Dept (outside city limits)
| Domestic Violence / Sexual Assault
| Child Abuse Unit
| Homicide / Assault
|Houston Police Department (inside City of Houston)|
| Family Violence Unit
| Victim Services
| Crime Victims Compensations Assistance
| Homicide Division (24 Hours)
|District Attorney's Office - Protective Orders
|Pasadena Police - Domestic Violence Unit
|Humble Police - Victim Assistance Liaison